I had a chance to send a few questions to Dave Ulbrick of ULBRICK about the past, present and the future. For those of you not familiar with ULBICK, Dave has been building amps and pedals since 1975 in Australia. He officially made it a business in 1990 with Ulbrick Music Services where he put together a nice line of pedals, as well as the Ulbrick amps and cabinets.
Recently, there has been a lot of talk about the Ulbrick 20th Anniversary 12AXE Overdrive which celebrates the 20th year mark for his 12AXE Overdrive, which features a laser engraved enclosure.
Be sure to check out ULBRICK’s Facebook page to stay up to date with what’s going on over there. They are currently redesigning their web page, so keep an eye for that as well!
– How did Ulbrick begin?
In about 1974 I started designing and making pedals as none were readily available in Australia. The first two pedals were the Megalodon Super Solo and JB Boost.
– Where is Ulbrick located?
Wheelers Hill in Melbourne, Australia.
– Is Ulbrick a large shop or smaller boutique shop?
I am a smaller boutique shop.
– Has Ulbrick always been involved with amps and pedals? Or did it start off primarily with amps?
Pedals came first in 1974 and amps were made sporadically from 1978.
– I see after Ulbrick began, there was a range of pedals. What pedals were being developed?
The range of pedals now are:
Wobble Tremolo, JB Plus Super Booster, Megalodon Super Solo and Tourer, Middleman Germanium Mid Boost, Germanium Face, 12AXE Overdrive, Pro Octave, Flat Boost, Phataxe Overdrive and the new 20th Anniversary 12AXE pedal.
– What separates Ulbrick from the competition?
I think the long list of high profile players using my pedals around the world for decades helps cement my products in the music and recording biz.
– What is the story on the Ulbrick 20th Anniversary 12AXE Overdrive?
After designing the 12AXE over 20 years ago, I decided to release a laser engraved 20th Anniversary model as a collectors piece.
– Is the 12AXE Overdrive 20th Anniversary is available now? And how long will it be available for?
The 12AXE Overdrive 20th Anniversary is available now until sold out.
– How much does the 12AXE Overdrive 20th Anniversary cost?
The handmade 20th 12AXE retails for $399.00AU
– How will people be able to purchase a 12AXE Overdrive?
Our ULBRICK facebook page, Guitars & Things, Eastgate Music, Deluxe Guitars VIC, Rock Inn WA or Prymaxe Vintage in the USA.
– How does the future look for Ulbrick?
– Anything on the planning table for pedals after the 20th Anniversary 12AXE Overdrive is released?
A couple of exciting new products about to be released for the world market. Also, the 12AXE Tourer coming later this year.
Leave a Reply